Company Establishment for Foreigners
(Company Formation,Company Set up)

Company Establishment for Foreigners


1. Is it possible to acquire a business management visa registering your own home as the company office?
The examination standards to be applied will be quite severe if you plan to turn a part of the property you are using as a residence into an office. For a higher chance of approval, we recommend that you establish an office separate from your home residence.
2. Can a foreign director establish a corporation in Japan?
Yes, it is possible.
3. Does a foreigner need a local address when establishing a company in Japan?
Starting in 2015, it has become possible to apply for company registration in Japan even if all the representative directors reside abroad.
4. If the founder or a director resides overseas, they would not have a "Seal Registration Certificate" or a "Certificate of Full Registry Records", Even so, in such event, would it be possible to apply?

Yes, it is possible. As general rule, no ”Seal Registration Certificate” is required. A foreigner can present a certificate issued by the relevant authority in his own country located in his place of residence.

· Prepared by the official authorities of the country located in the home country  (ex: administrative agency of country A in country A)
· Prepared by the official authorities of the home country located in Japan  (ex: Embassy of country A in Japan)
· Prepared by the official authorities of the home country located in a third country (ex: Embassy of country A in country B)
· Prepared by a notary public in the home country (ex: Notary in country A)

When it is not possible to acquire a certificate bearing the signature of a government official of their own country one of the following documents may be submitted.

1. A certificate acknowledged and bearing the signature of a government official of one's country of residence.
2. A certificate acknowledged and bearing the signature of notary public authorized as such in one's country of residence.
3. A certificate acknowledged and bearing the signature of a Japanese notary public.
*A Japanese translation is necessary for documents written in a different language.

5. Are there any visas that don't require a "business management visa" when organizing a company?
Yes, under the following classes of residence status, the applicant holder does not need a separate Business Management Visa
① Permanent Visa
② Spouse of Japanese National Visa
③ Spouse of Permanent Resident Visa
④ Long Term Resident Visa (i.e. Japanese Descendant and his spouse, Child of Japanese national and Permanent Resident)
6. What are his options if a foreigner does not have a paying bank account for investments.
An investment transfer account in the name of a foreign investor(s) is allowed to have an authorised representative to receive an investment transfer. Upon your instruction, we can process the transaction on your behalf. For details, please inquire further about the service.
Financial institutions permitted to conduct the transfer are not limited to Japanese financial institutions located in Japan. It is also possible to use a foreign branch of a Japanese financial institution or the branch of a foreign financial institution with branch in Japan.
7. Is a "business management" visa obtainable even if one is not an entrepreneur (founder) ?
Yes, if a person is purchasing an existing company or participating as an executive director of the company. In the latter case evidence of past of performance is required.
In the case of a small scale business , aprroval of such purchase or participation by the shareholders at a general meeting of shareholders of the applicant is important.
8. At the time of "business management " visa renewal, is Social Insurance necessary when hiring full-time employees?
Social Insurance participation is recommended
9. I am currently a foreign student, When is the best time I should start a company here in Japan?
It is recommended to form a company near the date or soon after the graduation ceremony and apply for a "business management" visa.
*You must acquire a "business management " visa first after establishing the company before you can run it.
(When the above mentioned required process, is not complied with , one may be considered as engaging in an "Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted".)
10. I do not have confidence in my Japanese or English ability, Can I still establish a company?
Please set your mind at ease. We have native speaker staff for 10 languages.
*For purpose of communication, translation/ interpretation is free unless it is required a special translation. Rest assured our translation fees are very resonable.
11. Is it possible to stay in Japan for a short term for purposes of looking for opportunities and planning, contract signing, market research for setting up a future company?

Yes, it is. You can apply for a short-term business visa, which will allow you to stay in Japan for 90 days. As a rule, this type of visa does not allow you to perform any activities to gain income.
However, academic conference, factory inspection, internship, attending interviews, business meetings, contract signing, market research, advertisements etc. are allowed.

The activity prohibited is gaining income, but lecturing involvements reward, allowances such as transportation fees/ meal allowance etc. are deemed common expenses thus are not considered as income.

12. Can I have my company registered after obtaining business management visa?
Yes. First, you have to submit the Articles of Incorporation, then open a bank account after obtaining 4-month period business management visa → transfer the fund → register for company establishment.
* However, We do not recommend the 4-month business visa, since it is difficult to renew.

For more information

Telephone Consultation03-5453-6931
From Overseas +81-3-5453-6931
(Weekdays: 10:00 to 18:00)
Business operations on Saturdays is temporary unavailable to conform with government policy in preventing spread of COVID-19.
E-mail Formclick here
We can assist you further if desired.

PG Group & Partners